Position: Agribusiness Incubator Advisor
Employer: World University Service of Canada
Location: Georgetown, Guyana
Deadline: January 7, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: January 7, 2018
DURATION: 4 months
The Promotion of Regional Opportunities for Produce through Enterprises and Linkages (PROPEL) is a sustainable economic growth project which aims to increase the value of Caribbean fresh produce accessing high-value markets (HVMs) in the Caribbean and internationally by CAD $100 million over six years. Funded by the Canadian Government through Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and implemented by World University Service of Canada (WUSC), the project is working with private sector buyers, producers, business service providers and other market system actors to facilitate the safe, effective and efficient movement of fresh produce from the farm level to HVMs.
The focus of the Guyana School of Agriculture (GSA), a semi autonomous agency of the Ministry of Agriculture, is to pioneer the establishment of an Agribusiness Incubation Centre that maximizes the
success quotient of start-up enterprises by offering them the best opportunities with minimum risk. Taking into consideration the most pressing concerns, food security and poverty alleviation, there are two approaches that seek a solution to these problems: (a) investment in farmer-level organizations and, (b) value chain development. Business incubation is an alternative path for agricultural
commercialization and agribusiness development that can complement those approaches. Agribusiness incubation represents a new resource to promote enterprise development in agriculture
and facilitate business among agri-preneurs. This will promote young entrepreneurs in agribusiness through skills and service-based opportunities (shared facilities and equipment, business development, technology, finance, mentoring and networking).
Its objectives are to:
● Foster innovation through the creation, development of agribusiness to benefit the farming
● Facilitate agro-technology commercialisation by promoting and supporting agribusiness ventures;
● Promote successful agribusiness ventures to benefit farms through new markets, products, services
The overall goal is to set up a sustainable Agribusiness Incubation Centre that operates on international
VOLUNTEER POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
Under overall supervision of PROPEL’s Country Coordinator and direct supervision of the Principal of the GSA, the Agribusiness Incubator Advisor Volunteer will:
o Review and analyze the literature on business incubators in agriculture and their contribution to
economic development toward identifying robust best practices and applicable models;
o Conduct an incubatees or potential incubatees survey and synthesize findings into the model;
o Provide recommendations on the scope of services to be provided by the Incubator.
o Propose an organisational chart for the Incubator, which includes a governance structure,
management and staff structure, job descriptions and specifications for each post;
o Establish operational procedures for the incubator;
o Prepare a costed five-year financial proposal, including a phased implementation plan and
o Develop recommendations for the financial model of the Incubator with options for revenue
models based on international best practices and applicability in the Guyana financial regulations
o Attend Steering Committee Meetings and other meetings with the Administration of the School;
o Prepare a mutually agreed Inception Report which gives details of the methodology to be adopted.
● A degree or relevant experience in Agri-business, Business Administration, or related field
● Minimum 2 years experience in Business Administration, Business Development, Entrepreneurship
● Proven leadership, interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
● Ability to work with minimal supervision
● Adaptable and flexible self-starter with strong creative problem-solving capacity
● Advanced analytical and report writing skills
● Understanding of market-led development
● Good communication skills.
● Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada between the ages of
● Departure date is contingent upon the timely completion of all administrative requirements (e.g.
visa processes, medical clearance, police checks, travel documentation).
● With the support of the program, all volunteers are encouraged to make a minimum financial
contribution of $1,500 for participating in the program.
Send CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “PROPEL Agribusiness Incubator Advisor” in subject
• This position is open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
• Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and position will remain open until filled.