Position: Accounting Manager
Location: Toronto, Montreal
Deadline: October 21, 2022
Employment Type: Employment
Position Level: Senior
Closing Date: October 21, 2022
CESO is a leading economic development organization dedicated to sustainably reducing poverty and fostering economic growth in Canada and around the world. Our CESO Advisors (CAs) are senior-level professionals and executives who are interested in sharing their knowledge and expertise in meaningful ways.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Accounting Manager is responsible for managing the accounting team and its day-to-day activities to ensure the maintenance of accurate, complete, and up-to-date accounting records. This position is currently hybrid with in-office work in Toronto OR Montreal.
- Leads and manages the day-to-day accounting activities, processes and procedures, and month/year-end closing processes that contribute towards the preparation of complete, accurate and timely financial statements in accordance with funder contracts, CESO policies and Canadian GAAP for not-for-profit organizations.
- Supervises and provides guidance to a small accounting team.
- Detail reviews work prepared and entered by direct reports (or delegates as appropriate) to ensure accurate and up-to-date accounting records.
- Prepares or reviews and approves journal entries and monthly account reconciliations.
- Provides guidance, such as orientation training, to other departmental staff including in-country representatives to ensure transactions adhere to and are in compliance with CESO financial policies, funders’ contracts and Canadian GAAP.
- Provides program-specific financial documents and reports (e.g. invoices, A/R aging, A/R or Advances to VAs) as applicable to the appropriate staff to support business operations and/or enable proper follow up.
- Works closely with the Finance team for external audits including preparation of working papers, lead sheets, and account reconciliations, and responses to inquiries.
- Manages implementing and enforcing of internal controls policies and procedures.
- Liaises with service providers (e.g. bank) as requested to set up new services or resolve finance-related issues.
- Proactively identify areas where process improvements and/or real savings may be realized.
- Performs other duties/special projects as assigned by the Director of Finance (e.g. prepare tax filings).
- Where requested, participates in and contributes to organizational initiatives such as process improvements.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- University degree and 5-8 years of related work experience
- CGA/CMA/CA designation
- Strong analytic skills and ability to work across various functions
- Experience with government contracts is an asset
- Bilingual – English / French, preferred
- Very strong attention to detail
- Flexibility and responsiveness to business and functional leaders for timely reporting
- Experience with Quickbooks is an asset
- Excellent Excel skills
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Ideal candidate will be a team player, outgoing, energetic, and a good communicator
Please forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations with
Accounting Manager in the subject line to:
Jennifer Rovet, Recruitment Manager
Application deadline: October 21, 2022
CESO is an equal opportunity employer.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.