Position: Academic Advisor in Entrepreneurship - Volunteer in Columbia
Employer: Cuso International
Deadline: May 10, 2018
Employment Type: Volunteer
Position Level: Mid Level
Closing Date: May 10, 2018
Location Bogotá, Colombia
Start Date May - Jul 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements Spanish
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
Use your skills and expertise in curriculum development and entrepreneurship to support Bogota's technical school!
The Fundación Escuela Taller de Bogotá (Technical School Foundation of Bogota) offers training in traditional trades such as carpentry, construction and restoration, and culinary arts through a methodology of "learning by doing" that centers on harnessing the abilities of its students, who are mostly from vulnerable communities, to be competitive and productive agents of change, as part of a larger objective to build peace in Colombia.
You'll support the team of professionals and technical staff, who are at the heart of the organization, in the development and continuation of the vision, policies and strategies that will move current educational programs in line with new legislation on work and human development.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Carry out a needs-assessment of the Education and Training area of the school, identifying and prioritizing different areas for improvement.
- Design a vision and details of the strategic, social and academic policies in short-medium and long-term basis, supporting the development of the strategic plan for the academic area.
- Propose new opportunities to mainstream entrepreneurship within each of the academic areas.
- Help enrich the academic calendar and areas by implementing activities that include a combination of academic content, different teaching methodologies or pedagogic tools, include didactic learning and practical application.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- University degree in education or pedagogy, social sciences background, preferably with a focus on education, trades or technical educational programs.
- Desired coursework or equivalent experience in finances, local development, strategic planning, communications.
- Familiarity with the concept of stakeholder engagement and knowledge of development principles and social enterprises.
Essential Professional Background:
- Experience working with vulnerable groups and youth from diverse backgrounds
- Experience with academic program design and facilitating workshops
- Ability to work with little supervision and guidance.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months